Because Craft is Important

I just received this message from Betsy Greer, author of Knitting for Good and Craftivism, and felt I should take her up on her offer to share the conversation. If you just have time to click on one link, go for Betsy's rebuttal - it covers all the points. And Betsy's writing is just getting better and better - smart, honest, generous and funny.

Hey there!

Recently, there was a piece in the New York Times about how craft can’t save the world. Given that this piece was written by someone who is pretty darn negative in everything she writes, the actual piece was not surprising. 

I wrote a rebuttal yesterday, which you can read here

And I’m writing to you today to ask that if you agree with me and believe in the power of craft, to consider sharing it with others who may have been disheartened to find such a piece in the New York Times. In the past week and a half since it was posted, I’ve had several conversations with people frustrated about it and the way that craft is presented. Therefore, I wanted to make sure that more frustrated people out there saw it. :)  

If you choose not to share it, that’s totally fine. If you choose to, thank you wholeheartedly. 

Because when I found craft, it saved me. Meeting people like you, with your energy, drive, and passion saved me. So, this email is actually two-fold. It’s not just an ask, it’s a thank you. Thank you for being you and for sharing your work with the world. You sharing your best work with the world has emboldened me to work towards sharing my own best, instead of being timid about hitting post or submit or whatever. 

Your bravery has pushed me forward. I know sometimes it’s hard to know what mark your work is truly hitting, so here’s one person out there that thinks you’re amazing, both in who you are and what you do.  

So thank you for showing up, giving greatly, and being you. Just as much as the world needs craft, it also needs people that shine brightly and share with the world, as it gives others the courage to do the same.

xx
Betsy

Comments

  1. in this increasingly plastic world I hold hope in the hand crafted locally made & grown from organic materials will save our planet
    imagine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Heather! Betsy's post and the comments were insightful. The author of the original NYT article really missed the point entirely - particularly not taking the makers themselves into consideration. I'm amazed that this is what passes for good newspaper journalism these days. All food for thought, eh? Make on!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please forgive me for using word verification. The spam robots got to me.