Tres Beau Plumage

I think these guys will need a border. There is an idea cooking away in the far reaches of my brain of something that plays with the way feathers can also be pens, echoing the quill pen that Louis Nicolas would have used in the original drawing. Feathers, or stylized plumes were also a typical motif in Jacobean era crewelwork.

And, by the by, I have noticed that some time ago I made my 500th blog posting. I suppose one should celebrate. I have been doing this for awhile, but reminiscing makes me all too aware of how much has changed in my life since I began this back in 2006. I'm almost a completely different person! Maybe that is something to celebrate.

Comments

  1. onesmallstitch10:10 PM

    celebrate, Heather. wear feathers! congratulations on 500.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:17 AM

    I like the way these birds are within the oval space of the frame, like birds within a large egg. Seems fitting.
    I look forward to seeing these pieces in September.

    Congratulations on passing the 500th blog mark. A celebration is called for. I think I'll toast your achievement with a cool glass of sangria.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really beautiful. I would imagine you have a lot of experience with hand stitching. Mine would be nowhere close to this intricate piece.
    I have a huge affection for birds, hummingbirds being my favorite. I had the pleasure of hand feeding them when we lived at the river. One little guy, Henry, would perch on my hand when I held the feeder.
    But back to this piece. It looks like it's printed...and I mean that as a compliment! I could imagine running my hand over the stitches, feeling the slight texture. Can't wait to see what you do with that border!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And congratulations on #500!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful piece of embroidery, I love how the 3 birds seem to act together, looking all in the same direction.
    Congratulations, I know how regular posting means committment and a lor of work. And congratulations for changing, some people never do, they do not know how much they are losing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:18 PM

    these embroideries are beautifully graphic and alive!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please forgive me for using word verification. The spam robots got to me.