Textiles in Our Midst

What's going on here? No news for weeks and then a veritable spew of blogging! The guilt rides heavily on my shoulders and, true to form, I over-compensate....

First, what may possibly be the oldest Brownie uniform in existence, or at least in private hands. This tiny dress was worn by my sweetie's mother when she was a wee Sprite (or is it a Pixie?) and was already handed down at that point. She lived in South Africa, and I don't know if this was a standard international style or particular to that country.

So sweet, and a far cry from the t-shirts they wear today. But don't get me started on the decline of the Guiding movement (High on Life badges indeed!)

Well, here it is folks. Almost done. What has been consuming me through packing and moving and stinging nettle attacks and flu and urgent tree pruning and garlic planting. The anniversary sweaters!!

I just have to finish the closures. These matching sweaters are in honour of my friend's parent's 50th wedding anniversary. The design is based on a west coast Cowichan type of sweater and incorporates birds, fleur-de-lis, rolling waves, and a monogram of the couple's initials.

And, although I am happy and proud of how they turned out, I am compelled to share with you evidence of the path I have travelled on the journey of making.

My chart is definitely seat of the pants designing. Full of mistakes and cutting and pasting, figuring it out as I go. There was a lot of ripping on this project!

And here is a picture of my kitchen table on acid.

Actually, I scored a tin of buttons at the Free Store. There's some groovy leather buttons and some lovely mother of pearl ones amongst the dross. It was lots of fun going through them - a glass of Bushmills + CBC jazz + old buttons = a rockin' Saturday night on Lasqueti!

Comments

  1. Anonymous11:35 PM

    What fabulous jumpers and what a wonderful gift - you are right to be proud of them. I hope the recipients love them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:36 PM

    What fabulous jumpers, what a wonderful gift and lucky, lucky folk who will get them. You should be very proud of your achievement, particularly if you designed them yourself. Well done! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:26 AM

    the brownie outfit is adorable. the sweaters are gorgeous..kudos to you and design as you go is impressive..LOL your table on acid..hehe...and what is the free store??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:06 AM

    What a beautiful sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:30 PM

    Dear Heather,
    I have just seen my anniversary sweater on your blog and it is so beautiful. I can hardly wait to proudly wear it. I know my husband will love it too. The pattern is beautiful and a perfect memento of our 50th anniversary. Thank you so much for all the work you have done.
    Love, Constance and A. Antonio

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sweater is wonderful! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marvellous sweaters; makes you want to be faithful, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:54 AM

    Beautiful sweaters, Heather!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please forgive me for using word verification. The spam robots got to me.