Wendell Castle's 10 Adopted Rules of Thumb


Wendell Castle is quite an extraordinary furniture maker. I have been carrying around the following list of his 10 Adopted Rules of Thumb for several years. Since I am currently without an internet connection, and must make do with the jittery computer the local library has to offer, I thought I could offer Wendell's list as an alternative to a regular post. I think they are applicable to any creative pursuit.

1. If you are in love with an idea, you are no judge of its beauty or value.
2. It is difficult to see the whole picture when you are inside the frame.
3. After learning the tricks of the trade, don't think you know the trade.
4. We see and apprehend what we already know.
5. The dog that stays on the porch will find no bones.
6. Never state a problem to yourself in the terms it was brought to you.
7. If it's offbeat or surprising then it's probably useful.
8. If you do not expect the unexpected, you will not find it.
9. Don't get too serious.
10. (And my personal favourite...) If you hit the bullseye everytime, then the target is probably too near.

Comments

  1. Anonymous8:24 PM

    Thanks
    Peace and Joy to you
    Cheers Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah....good words for the season. a package to you is prepared but i am a bit late so it may miss its mark...have a great holiday.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:50 AM

    Heather,

    This is great advice for idea/product makers everywhere. I will blog your post on my blog (about product value) next week.

    I'd like to subscribe via RSS to your blog but don't see how. Do you have a link for that?

    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please forgive me for using word verification. The spam robots got to me.