Eszter Haraszty, Needlepainter

I found this book at the Free Store on Lasqueti. Published in the mid 1970's, it documents one woman's obsession with embroidery. Eszter Haraszty was a glamorous Hungarian who moved to Los Angeles and found she needed to express herself in ways that hobnobbing with Hollywood stars just didn't satisfy. (Sorry, the picture is on its side as I am without Photoshop at the moment.)

As you can see, she was quite the dish. The oversized shades and knee socks are a stylist's dream. (Click to enlarge.)

She gets an endorsement from none other than Mary Tyler Moore! Talk about a 70's icon. I particularly like the blurb from Rudi Gernreich, creator of the topless swimsuit. "Dreamflowernatureartenchantedgardenhouseworld", indeed!

As you can see, Eszter has covered practically every surface in her home with needlepainted flowers. As far as I can tell, her term needlepainting basically describes crewel embroidery. But I enjoy the bold colourful textures, quite a different aesthetic from today's self-consciously cute minimalism.

Comments

Post a Comment

Please forgive me for using word verification. The spam robots got to me.